Is it Living?

Happy Sunday friends! Hoping you all are having a wonderful weekend. Mine has been GREAT, but Sunday sure does come fast. I actually can't believe we only have 28 days of school left. Where did this school year go?

Last week my firsties and I discussed living and non-living things. Those that know me, know that science is my MOST FAVORITE  LEAST FAVORITE subject to teach. However, I know it must be done so I do it to the best of my ability. I will be honest though, my firsties wouldn't be able to tell that it was my favorite. My team and I thought it would be a great idea to have our Firsties compare living worms and non living worms (Gummi Bears). Let's just say, "THEY LOVED IT!"

Yes real life worms in actions!

This sweet Firstie of mine was sooooo nervous about grabbing a worm. It was hilarious!!

So proud of her! She actually did it! I love when my kiddos take risks. #happyteacher

It was no problem for this sweet Firstie of mine to grab a worm and begin working! He was a pro that's for sure. #goodjobfirstie #happyteacher

We used this awesome recording sheet to compare the living and non-living worms. I apologize for not remembering who this is from but I will get back to you.

They measured the length of the living worm and the length of the non-living worm. #happyteacher


So engaged! I really do LOVE hands-on learning. It can make learning so much more memorable. 


Nothing better than seeing them discuss and really get involved with the activity. They discussed how the worms felt, looked. How they were alike and different, size, shape, etc. 

So there you have it. Science was a success in our classroom last week. As always thank you for stopping by and showing your love. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

4 comments

  1. How fun! I don't know how you did it, because worms...eeek! But your students look like they had a ball! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I be honest? I took the worms out with a pencil and when it was time for my Firsties to clean up I had those who wanted to, put them away. #ididnottouchone lolol

      ((Hugs))

      Delete
  2. I really liked this blog post. I pinned it to pinterest for you and I will share it. Teaching Science With Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda! The kids LOVED it!!!

      ((Hugs))

      Delete